We had so much fun with The Killer Wore Cranberry back in 2010, and The Killer Wore Cranberry: A Second Helping in 2012, we have to reset the table this year with The Killer Wore Cranberry: Room for Thirds.
As in the previous anthologies, all the stories contained within must be about murder and mayhem happening at Thanksgiving, and must feature a typical Thanksgiving dish as a vital part of the story (i.e.: turkey, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie). Most important…it must be funny!
This anthology is all about making people laugh while enjoying a great mystery short at the same time. The anthology will be edited by editor-in-chief Jay Hartman.
And now, the rules:
1. All stories must be between 1500-5000 words.
2. Deadline for submission for consideration is September 1, 2013. This is a firm date; no submissions after this date will be considered.
3. All submissions should be sent to Jay Hartman at jhartman@untreedreads with the word THANKSGIVING in the subject line.
4. Submissions must be in .DOC, .RTF or .ODT format.
5. We will not be publishing the stories individually. Only the anthology will be available.
6. Authors will receive royalty, but not up-front payment. Authors will each receive a share of royalties of 50% of net (net = cover price – vendor commission), based on the number of authors in the final anthology.
7. Characters appearing in other Untreed Reads series or other series not published by us are strongly encouraged. If you are published outside of Untreed Reads, please check with your publisher to ensure you have the rights to create a new story for a different publisher with your character(s).
8. Your story MUST have humor in it, feature a Thanksgiving dish, and have a great mystery or crime at the heart of the story.
9. Stories not accepted for the anthology may be resubmitted in the future for other submission calls.
10. Previously published works are fine, providing electronic rights have reverted to the author and the story is not currently offered for free anywhere on the Internet or currently published through a self-publishing venue (i.e. Smashwords, Amazon KDP, etc.).
11. There are no restrictions whatsoever on age, race, sex, sexual orientation, etc. in the work. Just tell us a great story!
Please direct any questions to Jay Hartman at firstname.lastname@example.org. We recommend looking at the original The Killer Wore Cranberry and its sequel The Killer Wore Cranberry: A Second Helping for an idea of the type of story we’re looking for.
All decisions on material will be made by September 15, 2013. Every attempt will be made to notify all authors of the status of their submission at that time. Please do not inquire about status prior to September 15, 2013.
This anthology has an expected publication date of October 15.
This is an open call and may be reposted anywhere and everywhere.